- Journalists and critics have called the Netflix trailers for the Meghan and Prince Harry docuseries misleading.
- They include several photos of the paparazzi, indicating that the paparazzi are swarming the couple.
- Reports say some of the photos are in fact from unrelated events that the couple did not attend.
Netflix is facing criticism after showing two trailers for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s upcoming documentary series, ‘Harry and Meghan’, which featured out-of-context and apparently unrelated footage.
The broadcasting company, which announced its partnership with Harry and Meghan in 2020, released a teaser for the documentary series on Thursday, containing previously unreleased photos of the couple as well as those of paparazzi, who are implied to be following the couple adamantly.
The Sun initially reported that the image used in the first trailer, believed to be of paparazzi capturing the couple at a royal event, was actually of the paparazzi at the premiere of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2” in 2011.
Representatives for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, along with Netflix, did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.
The paparazzi image can be seen in a 30-second timestamp.
Harry can be heard saying after the disputed image appears on screen that “I had to do everything I could to protect my family,” which viewers could interpret as the prince implying he wanted to protect them from the press.
Sun Dog photographer Seaborg, who can be seen in the original photo, told the publication that there were no members of the royal family present at the event.
“In the Netflix trailer it was clear that the paparazzi, myself included, were trying to take a picture of the royal couple – but that’s nonsense,” Seaborg told The Sun.
“For an image from that premiere in this trailer about Harry and Meghan it looks like a lazy image search,” he added.
However, Harry and Meghan’s privacy and safety were at great risk during their stay in the UK, according to Metropolitan Police Commissioner Neil Basu.
Basu, the former head of the counter-terrorism force, told Channel 4 in November that there were investigations into the threats against the couple, and that some individuals had been prosecuted.
In the documentary “The Me You Can’t See” first broadcast in May 2021, Harry said he feared for Meghan’s life due to the paparazzi harassment that led to the death of his mother, Princess Diana.
“History was repeating itself,” Harry said in the documentary. “I chased my mom to her death while she had an affair with someone who wasn’t white, and now look what happened. Do you want to talk about history repeating itself? They won’t stop until you’re dead.”
A trailer for a follow-up documentary series was released on Monday, and it was quickly panned by journalists as well.
—Netflix (@netflix) December 5, 2022
Robert Jobson, Royal Editor of the Evening Standard, wrote on Twitter Monday that the image shown in the second trailer is misleading.
Jobson said the photo was taken by an accredited press group, which he was part of at Archbishop Tutu’s residence in Cape Town, South Africa, during Harry and Meghan’s visit in 2019.
—Robert Jobson (@theroyaleditor) December 5, 2022
“This image used by Netflix and Harry and Meghan to imply press interference is a complete travesty,” Jobson wrote.
He added, “There were only 3 people in the approved centre. H&M approved the situation. I was there.”
The second trailer also shows a video of paparazzi swarming a vehicle believed to be Harry and Meghan’s. As reported by Buzzfeed News’ Ellie Hall, the video is actually of Michael Cohen, former attorney to former President Donald Trump, getting into a car to be taken to jail on May 6, 2019.
The clip can be viewed at a 44-second timestamp and again at a 50-second timestamp, right before a video of Princess Diana shielding her face from the cameras.
It also appears that a separate video clip shown in a 49-second timestamp has nothing to do with the royal couple. The footage was actually taken by photographers outside a British court where model Katie Price arrived to be sentenced for drunk driving on December 15, 2021, reports Hall.
Netflix has confirmed that “Harry & Meghan” will be released in two parts, with the first volume airing December 8, and the second volume airing December 15.
#People #call #Netflix #Harry #Meghan #trailer #misleading #footage #showing #crowds #paparazzi #unrelated #events