Apple today released iOS 16.2, which is the second major update to iOS 16 released in September. iOS 16.2 comes more than a month after the release of iOS 16.1, an update that added support for Live Activities, textures, iCloud Shared Photo Library, and more.
The iOS 16.2 update from Apple can be downloaded to eligible iPhones and iPads over the air by going to Settings > General > Software Update. It may take a few minutes for updates to propagate to all users due to high demand. Note that Apple also released iOS 15.7.2 for iPhone users with older devices, with the update bringing security improvements.
Today’s iOS 16.2 and iPadOS 16.2 updates bring several notable features to iOS 16 and iPadOS 16, including the Freeform app, a kind of digital whiteboard that you can use for anything, while also working collaboratively with friends and colleagues.
It includes an Apple Music karaoke feature called “Sing,” and offers advanced end-to-end encryption data protection for more iCloud features and more. On the iPad, the update brings support for external displays on the iPad M1 and M2.
Apple’s full release notes for iOS update are given below:
Freeform is a new app for working creatively with friends or colleagues on Mac, iPad and iPhone
– The flexible canvas allows you to add files, photos, labels, and more
Drawing tools allow you to draw anywhere on the board with your finger
Apple Music Sing
A new way to sing along to millions of your favorite songs in Apple Music
– Fully customizable sounds let you duet with original artist, solo vocals or mix it up
– Newly improved tone lyrics make it easier to follow along with the music
iCloud Advanced Data Protection
The new option increases the total number of categories of iCloud data protected with end-to-end encryption to 23 — including iCloud Backup, Notes, and Photos — to protect your information even in the event of a data breach in the cloud
Lock the screen
New settings allow you to hide background or notifications when Always On Display is enabled on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max
– Sleep widget allows you to view your most recent sleep data
– The Medication widget allows you to view reminders and quickly access your schedule
SharePlay support in Game Center for multiplayer games so you can play with people you’re on a FaceTime call with
– Activity widget allows you to see what your friends are playing and achieving in games right from your home screen
– The Apple TV app’s Live Activities let you follow your favorite teams with live scores right on the Lock screen or on Dynamic Island on iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max
Improved reliability and efficiency of communication between smart home accessories and Apple devices
This update also includes the following improvements and bug fixes:
– Improved message search allows you to find images based on their content, such as a dog, car, person or text
The Turn off hiding IP address setting allows iCloud Private Relay users to temporarily disable the service for a specific location in Safari
– Weather news articles display information related to the weather at that location
Share indicators in Notes allow you to see live indicators as others make updates in a shared note
– AirDrop now automatically returns to Contacts only after 10 minutes to prevent unwanted requests to receive content
– Crash detection improvements on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models
Fixes an issue where some notes might not sync to iCloud after updates
Some features may not be available in all regions or on all Apple devices. For information about the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this site:
Apple also has some notes for the iPad:
External display support with up to 6K resolution is available on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro (5th generation and later), the 11-inch iPad Pro (3rd generation and later), and the iPad Air (5th generation)
– Drag and drop files and windows from your compatible device to your connected display, and vice versa
– Support for using up to 4 apps on the iPad screen and 4 apps on the external screen
iPad features and fixes
– Tracker notifications alert you if an AirTag separated from its owner is nearby and a ringtone was recently played to indicate that it is moving
– Fixes an issue that could cause Multi-Touch gestures to become unresponsive while using the Zoom accessibility feature
After the release of iOS 16.2 and iPadOS 16.2, Apple may soon release the first betas of iOS 16.3 and iPadOS 16.3, giving us a look at the new features we can expect to see in the new year.
#Apple #releases #iOS #iPadOS #Freeform #Apple #Music #Sing #advanced #data #protection